Man found dead in attic after Cicero fire - myfoxcarolinas.com

Man found dead in attic after Cicero fire

Posted: Updated:
CICERO, Ill. (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

A man was found dead after what officials called an accidental fire early Friday morning in west suburban Cicero.

The fire started about 1:30 a.m. in a three-story building in the 5000 block of West 30th Place and was quickly extinguished, according to Cicero spokesman Ray Hanania.

A 23-year-old man was found dead in the attic, Hanania said.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s office identified him as German Mendoza, who lived in the house. Mendoza died of carbon monoxide toxicity from the house fire, and his death was ruled an accident, an autopsy found on Saturday.

The victim lived on the top floor, Hanania said. Each floor was divided to accomodate several families and the property was apparently overcrowded, according to Hanania.

A smoke detector alerted residents to the blaze, Hanania said. Many occupants fled the property and did not speak to police.

Six other residents have been given temporary housing, as the building appears uninhabitable, Hanania said.

The fire has been ruled accidental, Hanania said.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

Powered by WorldNow

WJZY FOX 46
3501 Performance Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28214
Main Number: (704) 398-0046

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices