Stay -At- Home Mothers Returning to the Workforce - myfoxcarolinas.com

Stay -At- Home Mothers Returning to the Workforce

• M'ballu Tejan-SieM'ballu Tejan-SieMore>>

M'ballu Tejan-Sie

Friday, May 30 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-05-30 19:28:55 GMT
    I fell in love with journalism while working on a documentary on Sierra Leonean women refugees. It was then I realized the power of telling the stories of others.

Refugee Story: A Long Way From Home

Monday, June 23 2014 9:43 PM EDT2014-06-24 01:43:53 GMT
    In 2009 Maywall and some of his family fled the war in Sudan to call a new place home, the Queen City. Maywall is one of the many refugees honored this week during Charlotte’s World refugee week. Events...

The Cost of Autism

Monday, June 16 2014 9:24 PM EDT2014-06-17 01:24:39 GMT
    Autism cost an estimated 2 million dollars a lifetime. Here's a look at how one local family is dealing with the costs.

A typical day in the life of Keya Hamilton includes cooking for her family, rehearsal practice for her upcoming play, and playing her favorite tunes on the piano. In spite of her hectic schedule, one thing comes first for this self-described supermom.

“ I want to be everything to my kids, I don’t want them to look back and say,” hey I wish my mom could have done this or I wish she’d been there for me,” Hamilton said.

As a stay-at-home mom Keya understands the importance of being in her children’s lives. Last year she returned to the workforce following her divorce.

“ After I got divorced, of course I had to make a living my ex-husband was wonderful about support, however you have to make your own way,” she said. “So I went back to work and I worked there for many years and it was great. But the thing about it—I really missed time with my kids.”

She recently attended a resume building workshop by Regal and Associates, for mothers like herself. Mothers who had been in and out of the workforce, due to taking care of their families.

Regal Hawke of Regal and Associates said situations like Keya’s are becoming more common.

“ There’s nothing more disheartening for me as a presenter for women in the workforce to encounter than a woman who was a stay at home wife, a stay at home mom whose marriage ended and now after 10, 15, 20 years and now she’s forced to find gainful employment and learn to take care of herself,” Hawke said.

Regal and Associates provides support for mothers, who have been out of the workforce due to being stay at home mothers and helps them explore entrepreneurship or re-enter the corporate world.

“I think the biggest thing about Regal and her workshops is that sometimes you have to be creative,” Hamilton said.

“Life has a way of redirecting us to where we should be and sometimes we don’t have the courage to take those steps or initiate that redirection ourselves, but for women who are stay at home wives or who are out of the workforce and looking for ways to re-enter I encourage them to take time to get to know themselves,” Hawke said.

As this stay at home mom looks to the future she hopes for one thing to happen to her career.

“I can show the world what I can do and make people feel,” Hamilton said.

And for Keya one thing will always come first.

“The most important thing for me is my children, being able to spend time with them because they are growing up so fast.”

New Fort Mill Bypass Promises Quicker Route

Friday, August 1 2014 11:38 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:38:49 GMT
    The Fort Mill Southern Bypass was funded bit-by-bit.
    The Fort Mill Southern Bypass was funded bit-by-bit.

Tillis Campaign Kicks Off In Rowan County

Friday, August 1 2014 11:07 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:07:50 GMT
    Thom Tillis was in Raleigh as the budget was being voted on but in Rowan County, Susan Tillis was kicking off Thom's campaign. Susan Tillis joined NC Senator Andrew Brock and US House candidate Vince Coakley in Salisbury.

Candlelight Vigil Held For Missing Rowan County Teenager Erica Parsons

Friday, August 1 2014 10:55 PM EDT2014-08-02 02:55:55 GMT
    A candlelight vigil was held Friday night in Granite Quarry for Rowan County missing teenager Erica Parsons. Erica was 13 years old when she was last seen by her adoptive family in late 2011.

Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices