Wire grill brush bristle sends woman to ER - myfoxcarolinas.com

Wire grill brush bristle sends woman to ER

Posted: Updated:
Flickr/Creative Commons/Isaac Wedin Flickr/Creative Commons/Isaac Wedin
NORTH ST. PAUL, Minn. (KMSP) -

This may come as a surprise, but one of the most popular tools used for cleaning grills may actually pose a danger because the bristles of those wire brushes can get stuck on grate gunk and end up in food.

One weekend meal recently sent Karen Dunlap to the hospital.

"It was really the best grilled chicken he'd ever made," she recalled. "I was like, 'Wow, this is so good!' Then, on like the third bite, I bit down on something kind of just hard, and I thought at first it was maybe a charred piece of the chicken or something. As I swallowed it, I realized, 'No. This is not something I should be swallowing."

She went to an emergency room and doctors found a grill brush wire lodged in her throat.

"The pain was radiating down and up," Dunlap recalled. "Every time I swallowed it got worse."

As it turns out, it's not an isolated incident. The Centers for Disease Control and prevention issued a report in 2012 and tracked 6 separate incidents where grill brush bristle were swallowed in less than one year at just one hospital on the east coast. In fact, the agency even issued a warning that said: "Before cooking, persons should examine the grill surface carefully for the presence of bristles."

Yet, there are alternatives. At Frattallone's Ace Hardware in St. Louis Park, Jim Lee has one brush that's actually a stainless steel scrubbing pad.

"Tougher than a Brillo Pad, but a bristle-free scrub brush, they call it," Lee explained.

Wood also works.

"I'll come out, fire up the heat, get the grates nice and hot so all that charred debris loosens up a bit," Nathan Thompson explained.

Thompson and his brothers make grill cleaning paddles they call "the Great Scrape." It has no bristles, and will mold itself to the shape of the grill.

"You don't ever have to worry about debris falling off, sticking to the grates, sticking to the food that you throw on there," Thompson assured.

Some have also suggested the home remedy of using an onion on the end of a fork to clean off the grill grate, but Fox 9 News will put that suggestion to the test on Fox 9 News @ 10 and found it wasn't quite as good at getting rid of the gunk.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • New photos, bigger reward: 'We must find Ty Hoffman'

    New photos, bigger reward: 'We must find Ty Hoffman'

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 3:07 PM EDT2014-08-20 19:07:58 GMT
    Crime Stoppers and the Council on Crime and Justice are offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to an arrest and conviction for the murder of Kelly Phillips in Arden Hills. The Ramsey County sheriff's office has identified Ty Hoffman as the suspect.
    Crime Stoppers and the Council on Crime and Justice are offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to an arrest and conviction for the murder of Kelly Phillips in Arden Hills. The Ramsey County sheriff's office has identified Ty Hoffman as the suspect.
  • 16-year-old paralyzed in ATV crash saved girlfriend

    16-year-old paralyzed in ATV crash saved girlfriend

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 4:13 PM EDT2014-08-19 20:13:47 GMT
    His life may never be the same, but the 16-year-old running back from Hinckley High School was able to get his girlfriend to safety when the unthinkable happened while the two were riding his four-wheeler.
    His life may never be the same, but the 16-year-old running back from Hinckley High School was able to get his girlfriend to safety when the unthinkable happened while the two were riding his four-wheeler.
  • Minnesota mom charged for giving son cannabis oil early

    Minnesota mom charged for giving son cannabis oil early

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 10:28 AM EDT2014-08-20 14:28:19 GMT
    After years of watching her son suffer with the symptoms of a traumatic brain injury, Angela Brown turned to medical marijuana as a last resort. It worked, but the decision has left her facing criminal charges.
    After years of watching her son suffer with the symptoms of a traumatic brain injury, Angela Brown turned to medical marijuana as a last resort. It worked, but the decision has left her facing criminal charges.
Widgets Magazine
Powered by WorldNow

WJZY FOX 46
3501 Performance Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28214
Main Number: (704) 398-0046

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices