Darrell Waltrip Talks About His Lifelong Connection to Broadcast - myfoxcarolinas.com

Darrell Waltrip Talks About His Lifelong Connection to Broadcasting

• #fox46fastlane Coca-Cola 600More>>

• 48 car crushes restarts, cruises to another victory

Jimmie Johnson Wins at Dover for Second Straight Win

Jimmie Johnson Wins at Dover for Second Straight Win

Sunday, June 1 2014 5:26 PM EDT2014-06-01 21:26:50 GMT
    Jimmie Johnson's 48 car has won back-to-back races.
    Jimmie Johnson's 48 car has won back-to-back races.

Darrell Waltrip Talks About His Lifelong Connection to Broadcasting

Thursday, May 29 2014 11:02 PM EDT2014-05-30 03:02:28 GMT
    This Sunday, the NASCAR on FOX broadcast team will call their final Sprint Cup Series race of the 2014 season. The announcers in the booth, comprised up of Darrell Waltrip, Larry McReynolds and Mike Joy, have been calling races together since the 2001 season.

For Darrell Waltrip, it seems broadcasting is in his blood. He got his start in Nashville co-hosting a racing-themed television show.

Wendell Scott: NASCAR's First African-American Hall of Famer

Wednesday, May 28 2014 10:18 PM EDT2014-05-29 02:18:57 GMT
    On May 21, 2014, the NASCAR Hall of Fame voting panel designated the first African-American driver and race winner, Wendell Scott, as an inductee.
  • Kyle McCurryMore>>

Kyle McCurry

Wednesday, April 2 2014 11:14 AM EDT2014-04-02 15:14:24 GMT
    I am a Digital Journalist based in Hickory. I cover Alexander, Burke, Caldwell, Catawba, Iredell and Watauga counties. I was born in Weaverville, NC. My high school dream was to be a White House correspondent, then college happened and I got involved with the radio station at Western Carolina University.

Tony Stewart Returns To Racing For The First Time Since Kevin Ward, Jr.'s death

Friday, August 29 2014 4:13 PM EDT2014-08-29 20:13:24 GMT
    Tony Stewart returned to racing at Atlanta Motor Speedway this weekend following an accident that claimed the life of another driver three weeks earlier.

App. State Looks Forward to Round 2 In Ann Arbor

Thursday, August 28 2014 8:27 PM EDT2014-08-29 00:27:32 GMT
    In 2007, the Appalachian State University Mountaineers made history when it defeated the University of Michigan Wolverines. This Saturday, they looked to make history again.

"I loved it," said Waltrip. "I didn’t even know we were on camera. I’ve never thought about it that way. I’ve never thought about, “Hey, someone’s gonna see this besides us.”

At the track, he was known for his willingness to go in front of the camera and talk with the media. It drew some criticism from other members of the garage and Waltrip eventually gained a new nickname.

"Jaws," said Junior Johnson, Waltrip's former car owner. “He don’t fit that now, he was trying to arouse people, especially Earnhardt.”

Waltrip commented, “Well, they all said I talked too much, but the bottom line was they didn’t talk any.”

During his racing career, Waltrip would host various shows and even serve as an analyst for certain races. Unbeknownst to him, he was building valuable experience for his career with NASCAR on FOX. His first race, following his retirement from the Sprint Cup Series, was the 2001 Daytona 500.

“There’s no building up. There’s no practice. Your first race is the Superbowl, it’s the Daytona 500," Waltrip said. "It’s been one of the most competitive Daytona 500's we have had in a long, long time. My brother’s leading. My brother’s never won a race. He’s driving Dale Earnhardt’s car."

Waltrip found himself in a position to call the race but also cheer for his brother, Michael.

"Well, as they're coming to the line to get the flag," he said. "I saw the 3 car shoot up the track. Then, Michael crossed the line. A lot of emotion and I’m excited. I’m going to go to Victory Lane and celebrate. This is huge."

It was a few minutes later that Waltrip received some devastating news. His brother's car owner, Dale Earnhardt, had died as a result of injuries sustained in an accident on the last lap of the Daytona 500.

D.W.s complete story on the 2001 Daytona 500

“That was my first race and it was sort of baptismal by fire," he said. "I mean, you know, it couldn’t have gone any better to end up any worse.”

As Waltrip winds down another season calling races for FOX, he still seems to enjoy his second career.

"TV is fun. I love being up there. I get to watch the whole race. And you don’t edit it down and you don’t get a second chance. You call it like you see it and hope you get it right.”

NASCAR on FOX's final 2015 Sprint Cup Series race airs Sunday, June 1 at 1 p.m. on MY Fox Carolinas.

Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices