A Rock Hill Mom Takes On an Invisible Enemy - myfoxcarolinas.com

A Rock Hill Mom Takes On an Invisible Enemy

Posted: Updated:
  • Caroline FountainMore>>

  • Caroline Fountain

    Caroline Fountain

    Wednesday, June 18 2014 1:53 PM EDT2014-06-18 17:53:21 GMT
    A former reporter for CN2 News in Rock Hill for two years, I was the third DJ to become a proud member of Charlotte's brand new news station.
    A former reporter for CN2 News in Rock Hill for two years, I was the third DJ to become a proud member of Charlotte's brand new news station.
  • Welcome Home Soldier: 760th Engineering Company Soldiers Arrive to Charlotte

    Welcome Home Soldier: 760th Engineering Company Soldiers Arrive to Charlotte

    Monday, July 21 2014 6:49 PM EDT2014-07-21 22:49:02 GMT
    Tears, smiles, and salutes. Families welcome home their 760th Engineering Company soldiers from Afghanistan.
    Tears, smiles, and salutes. Families welcome home their 760th Engineering Company soldiers from Afghanistan.
  • Mooresville Soldier Comes Home

    Mooresville Soldier Comes Home

    Monday, July 21 2014 6:44 PM EDT2014-07-21 22:44:59 GMT
    Tears, smiles, and salutes. There wasn't a dry eye in sight as families welcomed home their 760th Engineering Company soldiers at Charlotte Douglas International Airport.
    Tears, smiles, and salutes. There wasn't a dry eye in sight as families welcomed home their 760th Engineering Company soldiers at Charlotte Douglas International Airport.

Rock Hill, N.C. (WJZY) -- A Rock Hill mother is fighting back against her son's killer: carbon monoxide.

Jeannie Williams and her 11 year old son Jeffrey were visiting a hotel in Boone when carbon monoxide seeped into their room.

That happened a year ago. Now, she has started a foundation in her son's memory to keep his name alive.

"Jeffrey and I had an overnight trip to Boone. He loved hotels, especially if they had a swimming pool. We picked a particular hotel out to just spend the night. While we were there, there was a leak. I was in the bathroom. That's why I survived because the bathroom door was closed," said Jeannie.

What does carbon monoxide poisoning feel like?

"I was starting to feel an upset stomach, like it was something I ate at dinner. I went into the bathroom, washing my face and started feeling bad. I went to the floor because I felt like I was going to pass out. I knew I needed to get to my phone, but it was by the bed. I tried to open the door, call Jeffrey, but he couldn't hear me. I wake up and I'm in the hospital," said Jeannie.

More than 400 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year in the U.S. That's according to the National Center for Environmental Health.

Jeannie says that's too much.

"We don't want this to happen to anyone else, whether it's in their home, in a camper, on the road, we don't want anymore deaths from this," said Jeannie.

She says this Sam's Club fundraiser for the Children's Miracle Network is just the first step for the Jeffrey Lee Williams Foundation.

"After today, we are speaking at the South Carolina Fire Marshals convention. Amber, my sister-in-law, was able to get detectors installed in all the dorms and offices at the University of South Carolina. We're going to work toward the next universities and go from there," said Jeannie.

If there's just one thing you take away from Jeannie's story, let it be a carbon monoxide monitor in your home.

"Unless you've lost a child, it's hard to explain, it's hard for other people to understand what motivates a mom to do this sort of thing," said Jeannie.

Powered by WorldNow

WJZY FOX 46
3501 Performance Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28214
Main Number: (704) 398-0046

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices