A 1-year-old boy who fell from a Minneapolis high-rise on Sunday night is still alive at HCMC, where he is listed in critical but stable condition -- and the community is rallying to prevent another tragedy.
Minneapolis police say the 15-month-old toddler fell 11 stories after he crawled out onto a balcony, but it's still unclear whether he slipped through the railings or climbed over when he fell at about 10 p.m. on Sunday night.
'MIRACLE BABY' SURVIVES
Unconscious and hooked-up to machines in his hospital bed, Musa Dayib hardly looks like a "miracle baby," but the fact that he is alive at all after falling more than 100 feet has certainly earned him the title.
Family friend Abdi Bihi told Fox 9 News that the boy's father was watching the boy and his 3-year-old sister inside the apartment while their mother ran errands; however, when he stepped out of the room, the 3-year-old opened the patio door.
"They feel like they failed," Abdirahim Amed, the boy's uncle, told Fox 9 News. "But they haven't failed because that's their kids, and things happen."
The younger toddler apparently walked onto the balcony and fell onto to a small patch of mulch on the ground, narrowly missing both the sidewalk and a generator by inches.
The boy's pediatrician at HCMC told Fox 9 News that he suffered a number of injuries, including a broken back, broken arms and broken ribs. The boy also has a concussion along with bruises on his heart and lungs.
"They are just more flexible and their bones are not as hard as ours," Dr. Tina Slusher explained. "They give a little more. They are more springy than we are. So, a little less likely to break all to pieces."
COMMUNITY GATHERS TO TALK SAFETY
Community leaders held a meeting at the Brian Coyle Community Center on Tuesday night to discuss safety improvements at the apartment complex to make it safer for families with children.
"Something's gotta be done. We don't want to come here every day and feel sad about what happened," Amed said. "We can do something about it."
One idea discussed is adding latches to the top of the patio doors to prevent children from reaching them; however, the building's owner -- George Sherman -- said something like that would need to be cleared with the fire department.