Middle School Scrabble Club Returns From National Tournament - myfoxcarolinas.com

Middle School Scrabble Club Returns From National Tournament

• Kacie HollinsMore>>

Kacie Hollins

Thursday, March 20 2014 1:40 PM EDT2014-03-20 17:40:16 GMT
    I got so sick of the Canadian cold, I moved down to Charlotte just to avoid the snow. And of course to join the My Fox Carolinas family as a Digital Journalist. I grew up in Calgary (think the Houston of Canada) and after graduating from Carleton University with a Bachelor of Journalism, I moved to Toronto to cover sports; which in Canada means hockey.

Survey Finds Significant Increase in HGH Use Among Teens

Wednesday, July 23 2014 7:49 PM EDT2014-07-23 23:49:07 GMT
    Abnormal bone growth, heart failure, increased risk of diabetes... These are just a few of the many negative effects Human Growth Hormone can have on your health. But that hasn't stopped teenagers from experimenting with the stuff at an alarming rate.

Discovery Place Launches Monthly 'Adults Only' Event

Saturday, July 19 2014 1:08 PM EDT2014-07-19 17:08:40 GMT
    Science and discovery meets happy hour. That's the idea behind 'Science on the Rocks'. The monthly after hours event will be held at Discovery Place on the third Friday of every month and is geared at getting adults to explore what is typically a facility geared towards children.
Charlotte, NC -  Katya Lezin has no qualms about calling herself a Scrabble nerd.

"I played scrabble on Saturday nights with my dad. You know, it was my favorite pastime, so when i learned that there was a competitive scrabble world out there i just jumped in with both feet," said Lezin.

Now Lezin plays in tournaments with her children, who are also Scrabble enthusiasts. She also coaches at Randolph Middle School.

"I've actually coached the kids here at Randolph since my son, who is now 20, was in sixth grade," she said.

The Randolph team just returned from Rhode Island where they competed in the National School Scrabble Competition.

Brothers Jack and Nicholas Miklaucic made it to the finals, ultimately placing 2nd in all of North America. They credit their coach with their increased interest in Scrabble.

"I guess I just like Scrabble, and I like winning stuff and even though I only came 2nd it still feels like a win to me," said Nicholas.

Lezin agrees that the whole tournament was a win. She says the kids got to meet other students from all over the country and had the unique opportunity to bond with their teammates over the course of the tournament,

Next year, Lezin would love to see more Charlotte faces competing for the national title, but in order for that to happen, she says it's essential to get the word out.

"I think a lot of it is that schools don’t know that this can be both a club that you can run and something that you can field teams in to compete in."

Between now and next year's competition, Lezin will compete on the adult circuit with her family. She says tournaments give her and her kids an opportunity to travel together while enjoying something they're both very passionate about.

NC Sales Tax Bill Clears Senate

Thursday, July 24 2014 4:22 PM EDT2014-07-24 20:22:09 GMT
    For the second time, the North Carolina Senate voted in favor of a local sales tax limit. The NC Senate voted 32-16 in favor of House Bill 1224 that would cap the local sales tax at 2.5%.

Charlotte Events with Moira Quinn

Wednesday, July 23 2014 7:49 PM EDT2014-07-23 23:49:00 GMT
    Moira Quinn with Charlotte Center City Partners shares upcoming events in the Queen City... including an ice cream social at the Green Market on Saturday and the soccer match between Liverpool FC and AC Milan at Bank of America Stadium. Quinn tells @Fox46Barbara, tickets are still available.

Injunction denied for parents suing UCPS Board of Ed.

Thursday, July 24 2014 6:42 PM EDT2014-07-24 22:42:13 GMT
    A preliminary injunction to halt school redistricting in Union County Public Schools was denied by a Superior Court Judge on Tuesday.