Middle School Scrabble Club Returns From National Tournament - myfoxcarolinas.com

Middle School Scrabble Club Returns From National Tournament

• Kacie HollinsMore>>

Kacie Hollins

Thursday, March 20 2014 1:40 PM EDT2014-03-20 17:40:16 GMT
    I got so sick of the Canadian cold, I moved down to Charlotte just to avoid the snow. And of course to join the My Fox Carolinas family as a Digital Journalist. I grew up in Calgary (think the Houston of Canada) and after graduating from Carleton University with a Bachelor of Journalism, I moved to Toronto to cover sports; which in Canada means hockey.

Local Family Mourns Death of Palestinian Teenager

Wednesday, July 30 2014 8:13 PM EDT2014-07-31 00:13:26 GMT
    To some, the violence in Gaza seems a world away, but to one family here in Charlotte it is hitting far too close to home. Issam al-Araj and his family live in Charlotte, but his siblings and their children live in Palestine. His nephew, Mohammad al-Araj was shot and killed on July 24 -- his 17th birthday -- during a demonstration north of Jerusalem.

Kings Mountain Casino Still Stirring up Controversy

Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:14 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:14:27 GMT
    Close to fifty protesters came out to Tuesday night's Kings Mountain City Council Meeting to oppose the construction of a casino in the area. Back in September 2013, the Catawba Indian Tribe proposed a casino near the Dixon Road exit near 1-85. It's been met with growing opposition ever since.
Charlotte, NC -  Katya Lezin has no qualms about calling herself a Scrabble nerd.

"I played scrabble on Saturday nights with my dad. You know, it was my favorite pastime, so when i learned that there was a competitive scrabble world out there i just jumped in with both feet," said Lezin.

Now Lezin plays in tournaments with her children, who are also Scrabble enthusiasts. She also coaches at Randolph Middle School.

"I've actually coached the kids here at Randolph since my son, who is now 20, was in sixth grade," she said.

The Randolph team just returned from Rhode Island where they competed in the National School Scrabble Competition.

Brothers Jack and Nicholas Miklaucic made it to the finals, ultimately placing 2nd in all of North America. They credit their coach with their increased interest in Scrabble.

"I guess I just like Scrabble, and I like winning stuff and even though I only came 2nd it still feels like a win to me," said Nicholas.

Lezin agrees that the whole tournament was a win. She says the kids got to meet other students from all over the country and had the unique opportunity to bond with their teammates over the course of the tournament,

Next year, Lezin would love to see more Charlotte faces competing for the national title, but in order for that to happen, she says it's essential to get the word out.

"I think a lot of it is that schools don’t know that this can be both a club that you can run and something that you can field teams in to compete in."

Between now and next year's competition, Lezin will compete on the adult circuit with her family. She says tournaments give her and her kids an opportunity to travel together while enjoying something they're both very passionate about.

Kids Learn to Safely Procure Water from the Wilderness

Wednesday, July 30 2014 9:01 PM EDT2014-07-31 01:01:32 GMT
    Drinking contaminated water can contain pathogens that will cause excessive vomiting and profuse diarrhea, which will ultimately lead to dehydration or even death if not treated.

Local Family Mourns Death of Palestinian Teenager

Wednesday, July 30 2014 8:13 PM EDT2014-07-31 00:13:26 GMT

Soapbox: How to Speed Up TSA Processes

Wednesday, July 30 2014 7:11 PM EDT2014-07-30 23:11:05 GMT
    Who knows…maybe some of your ideas could take flight.
    Who knows…maybe some of your ideas could take flight.