A Proposed High Rise Could Block Metropolitan Views - myfoxcarolinas.com

A Proposed High Rise Could Block Metropolitan Views

• Logan SherrillMore>>

Logan Sherrill

Wednesday, March 19 2014 12:28 PM EDT2014-03-19 16:28:40 GMT
    I’m a local boy from Claremont, North Carolina. I attended Western Carolina University where I received a B.S. in Communication with a double concentration of broadcasting and journalism. While in college I was the General Manager of WWCU-FM and color commentated WCU football basketball games.

Red Bull Global Rallycross Excites Fans

Saturday, July 26 2014 10:22 PM EDT2014-07-27 02:22:47 GMT

Thousands enjoyed an up close racing experience at the Charlotte Dirt Track.

Thousands enjoyed an up close racing experience at the Charlotte Dirt Track.

Newton and Receivers Looking To Get Familiar—Fast

Friday, July 25 2014 11:11 PM EDT2014-07-26 03:11:01 GMT
    Recovery and bonding with new receivers among the challenges for Cam Newton. Rookie Kelvin Benjamin is one of those new wide outs.
Levine Properties proposed a 20 to 25 story hotel/multi-family high rise near the Metropolitan Complex on Monday.

The announcement was made during a public hearing to which people who live in the Metropolitan voiced their concerns about a large building.
The site is a 1.3 acre undeveloped piece of land next to the Metropolitan. It is on the corner of Metropolitan Ave. & S Kings Dr.

They said that not only will the building potentially block their views but they also believe it will cause more traffic problems in an already congested area.

Councilwoman Patsy Kinsey is the representative over District 1 (area around the Metropolitan) and she understands the frustrations people who live there.

"I understand why the people who live there have that concern. They live with it 24-7," Kinsey said.

However a 2005 Charlotte City Council ruling approved the construction of a 250-foot building in the same location as the newly proposed building by Levine Properties.

"We rezoned the whole master plan for the Metropolitan area, and it was included in that at 250 feet," Kinsey said. "I had forgotten it, and I voted back then," Kinsey added.

This announcement comes with the growing needs of more hotel rooms in Charlotte. There weren't enough rooms in the city to meet the high demand when the Democratic National Convention was in town in 2012.

"The CRVA (Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority) says that we do need more hotel rooms," said Kinsey. "If we need hotel rooms, I certainly think it's good for the city."

Another positive that could be seen from this new plan is that the developer has partnered with the Mecklenburg Parks & Recreation Department. They are working hand in hand to insure the Greenway is preserved.

"Being a Greenway fan, I appreciate that," Kinsey said.

The City Council will vote on an approval or denial of the proposed plan at the end of the month.

Red Bull Global Rallycross Excites Fans

Saturday, July 26 2014 10:22 PM EDT2014-07-27 02:22:47 GMT

Thousands enjoyed an up close racing experience at the Charlotte Dirt Track.

Thousands enjoyed an up close racing experience at the Charlotte Dirt Track.

Roll Over Fred: From Pet Owner to Store Owner

Sunday, July 27 2014 7:52 PM EDT2014-07-27 23:52:30 GMT
    We all have heard of the saying, “a dog is a man’s best friend," it may sound a bit cliche but it’s true for Fred Shrill and his dog Tucker. “I wouldn’t take the world or him,” said Fred as he smiled.

• Mike Leslie's death-defying (not really) ride in the passenger seat of a rocket ship

#Ridealong with Red Bull Global Rallycross

#Ridealong with Red Bull Global Rallycross

Saturday, July 26 2014 3:22 PM EDT2014-07-26 19:22:34 GMT
    Friday, for my assignment, I was tasked with a ride-along in a Global Rallycross car, at The Dirt Track at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Cars that go zero-to-60 in 1.9 seconds -- that's faster than a formula one car. We're talking about machines with absurd power. Not a bad gig... But enough to make you a little skittish...