Detroit to consolidate efforts to tear down dangerous buildings. - myfoxcarolinas.com

Detroit to consolidate efforts to tear down dangerous buildings.

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT (AP) -- Officials say demolition work of the nonprofit Detroit Blight Authority is being consolidated under city-run efforts to tear down dangerous buildings.

Columnist Nolan Finley with The Detroit News reports Thursday that Alexis Wiley, a spokeswoman for Mayor Mike Duggan, says the administration is still "open to working with other people." She says, however, that "now there is one plan."

The Blight Authority was announced last year and was headed by Bill Pulte, grandson of homebuilder PulteGroup Inc.'s founder. Pulte said earlier this month he was ending demolition work in the city and turning over effort in Detroit's Brightmoor neighborhood to the city.

The Blight Authority in January announced the Brightmoor work.

The city Detroit has struggled for years with vacant homes and buildings, and thousands have been razed.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Family's home hit hard by storms for second time

    Family's home hit hard by storms for second time

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 8:51 PM EDT2014-08-28 00:51:07 GMT
    For Ericka Page, first came the flood, then the gas line break and Tuesday, the massive tree limb that broke off with part of it landing on her house.
    For Ericka Page, first came the flood, then the gas line break and Tuesday, the massive tree limb that broke off with part of it landing on her house.
  • Ronald Ilitch arrested with drugs, prostitute

    Ronald Ilitch arrested with drugs, prostitute

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 8:24 PM EDT2014-08-28 00:24:27 GMT
    Ronald Ilitch was arrested for possession of drugs after being found with a prostitute Wednesday afternoon, according to Detroit Police Department sources.
    Ronald Ilitch was arrested for possession of drugs after being found with a prostitute Wednesday afternoon, according to Detroit Police Department sources.
  • Student sues Monroe schools for sexual harassment, bullying by teacher

    Student sues Monroe schools for sexual harassment, bullying by teacher

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 8:06 PM EDT2014-08-28 00:06:20 GMT
    A lawsuit from a Monroe honor student alleges sexual harassment, retaliation and bullying from a teacher and says the school district did nothing about it.
    A lawsuit from a Monroe honor student alleges sexual harassment, retaliation and bullying from a teacher and says the school district did nothing about it.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow

WJZY FOX 46
3501 Performance Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28214
Main Number: (704) 398-0046

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices