Just after 3 p.m. a small electrical fire on a fan was discovered outside the gym at Rawlinson Road Middle School. The fire started near the locker room area.
Principal Jean Dickson said two physical education teachers took immediate action to evacuate students and extinguish the flames. Coach Jon Bryant pulled a nearby fire alarm and grabbed an extinguisher.
Dickson said the school building was evacuated within three minutes and the flames were extinguished by the time the fire department came.
School operations crews disabled the fan and there was no smoke or fire damage to the school property.