Women in Wingate fighting addiction, vices, working at second ch - myfoxcarolinas.com

Women in Wingate fighting addiction, vices, working at second chance

• Union CountyMore>>

To Heaven and Back: Local dies three times following car accident

Monday, July 21 2014 9:58 PM EDT2014-07-22 01:58:23 GMT
    Landon Whitley lost his father in a car accident, but he, too, was pronounced dead at the scene. He says he went to heaven -- and returned three times.

Getting high off frogs: Wingate Ph.D. recognized nationally for research

Saturday, July 19 2014 12:48 PM EDT2014-07-19 16:48:11 GMT
    Dr. Krista Wilson of Wingate University is being recognized as one of 10 semifinalists by the American Chemical Society (ACS) in the Chemistry Champions contest -- stemming from her research with the “giant monkey frog” and it’s potential to help create a new pharmaceutical drug.

Group suing Union Co. Board of Ed gets court hearing

Wednesday, July 16 2014 9:38 PM EDT2014-07-17 01:38:23 GMT
    The group suing the Union County Board of Education over redistricting will have it's day in court for an injunction hearing on Wed., July 16.
  • David SentendreyMore>>

David Sentendrey

Monday, March 17 2014 6:08 PM EDT2014-03-17 22:08:00 GMT
    I was born in Cleveland, Ohio. I moved to North Carolina with my family in 2001 and attended Weddington High School before studying journalism at Appalachian State University.

To Heaven and Back: Local dies three times following car accident

Monday, July 21 2014 9:58 PM EDT2014-07-22 01:58:23 GMT

Getting high off frogs: Wingate Ph.D. recognized nationally for research

Saturday, July 19 2014 12:48 PM EDT2014-07-19 16:48:11 GMT
All across the world, there are plenty of options for those seeking treatment for addictions, vices, etc.

Just outside of downtown Wingate, House of Pearls offers women the chance to seek treatment for any issue they have -- follow-up from incarceration, drug dependency -- you name it.

"At the end of the programming, which is six months, we hope the women will have the life skills necessary to be a positive member of the community," said Cindy Huffman of House of Pearls.

House of Pearls is a Christian-focused organization. They have housed hundreds of women since their beginning in 2009. They currently rotate six women for each six-month stay.

Women have chores throughout the day, from cooking and cleaning to yard work. But there is also Bible study and plenty of time for personal reflection. The goal is to let those staying find out not just how to overcome their vices, but how to become the person they want to be moving forward.

One current resident, Sarah Fisher, is fighting alcohol addiction. She came to the center on Feb. 6 after a six-year battle with alcohol -- drinking a case of beer every day -- starting the moment she woke up.

Fisher is 24-years old.

"I know I'm young," Fisher said. "I come from some long-term abusive relationships. That just led me down a terrible road even though I had a lot of potential.

"I was just done. Fed up...I was ready to start over and do something with my life rather than waste it away."

She found House of Pearls through a personal friend. The program is completely voluntary.

Through her stay, she says she has transformed into a new person. But she did had her reservations.

"I was hesitant at first, especially because of the religious aspect. I wasn't sure if I was going to fit in...to a six month program based on religion," Fisher said. "I don't know what happened with me but I decided to come here and I got saved about a month ago. I'm a full believer. I was baptized yesterday -- and I've witnessed some miracles here."

What's next? Fisher hopes to get back to her passion -- writing and performing music. Today in front of the camera with My Fox Carolinas -- she picked up her guitar and played an original song for the first time in a year and a half.

"I neglected my passion for alcohol and stupid things," Fisher said.