Women in Wingate fighting addiction, vices, working at second ch - myfoxcarolinas.com

Women in Wingate fighting addiction, vices, working at second chance

• Union CountyMore>>

Injunction denied for parents suing UCPS Board of Ed.

Thursday, July 24 2014 8:38 PM EDT2014-07-25 00:38:58 GMT
    A preliminary injunction to halt school redistricting in Union County Public Schools was denied by a Superior Court Judge on Tuesday.

To Heaven and Back: Local dies three times following car accident

Monday, July 21 2014 9:58 PM EDT2014-07-22 01:58:23 GMT
    Landon Whitley lost his father in a car accident, but he, too, was pronounced dead at the scene. He says he went to heaven -- and returned three times.

Getting high off frogs: Wingate Ph.D. recognized nationally for research

Saturday, July 19 2014 12:48 PM EDT2014-07-19 16:48:11 GMT
    Dr. Krista Wilson of Wingate University is being recognized as one of 10 semifinalists by the American Chemical Society (ACS) in the Chemistry Champions contest -- stemming from her research with the “giant monkey frog” and it’s potential to help create a new pharmaceutical drug.
  • David SentendreyMore>>

David Sentendrey

Monday, March 17 2014 6:08 PM EDT2014-03-17 22:08:00 GMT
    I was born in Cleveland, Ohio. I moved to North Carolina with my family in 2001 and attended Weddington High School before studying journalism at Appalachian State University.

Hidden Valley Pushes Back Against Bad Reputation

Friday, July 25 2014 10:46 PM EDT2014-07-26 02:46:25 GMT
    The North Tryon Division of Charlotte saw the most significant decrease in crime, including Hidden Valley. Members of that neighborhood are hoping to clear their neighborhood's reputation.

Injunction denied for parents suing UCPS Board of Ed.

Thursday, July 24 2014 8:38 PM EDT2014-07-25 00:38:58 GMT
All across the world, there are plenty of options for those seeking treatment for addictions, vices, etc.

Just outside of downtown Wingate, House of Pearls offers women the chance to seek treatment for any issue they have -- follow-up from incarceration, drug dependency -- you name it.

"At the end of the programming, which is six months, we hope the women will have the life skills necessary to be a positive member of the community," said Cindy Huffman of House of Pearls.

House of Pearls is a Christian-focused organization. They have housed hundreds of women since their beginning in 2009. They currently rotate six women for each six-month stay.

Women have chores throughout the day, from cooking and cleaning to yard work. But there is also Bible study and plenty of time for personal reflection. The goal is to let those staying find out not just how to overcome their vices, but how to become the person they want to be moving forward.

One current resident, Sarah Fisher, is fighting alcohol addiction. She came to the center on Feb. 6 after a six-year battle with alcohol -- drinking a case of beer every day -- starting the moment she woke up.

Fisher is 24-years old.

"I know I'm young," Fisher said. "I come from some long-term abusive relationships. That just led me down a terrible road even though I had a lot of potential.

"I was just done. Fed up...I was ready to start over and do something with my life rather than waste it away."

She found House of Pearls through a personal friend. The program is completely voluntary.

Through her stay, she says she has transformed into a new person. But she did had her reservations.

"I was hesitant at first, especially because of the religious aspect. I wasn't sure if I was going to fit in...to a six month program based on religion," Fisher said. "I don't know what happened with me but I decided to come here and I got saved about a month ago. I'm a full believer. I was baptized yesterday -- and I've witnessed some miracles here."

What's next? Fisher hopes to get back to her passion -- writing and performing music. Today in front of the camera with My Fox Carolinas -- she picked up her guitar and played an original song for the first time in a year and a half.

"I neglected my passion for alcohol and stupid things," Fisher said.

NC Sales Tax Bill Clears Senate

Thursday, July 24 2014 4:22 PM EDT2014-07-24 20:22:09 GMT
    For the second time, the North Carolina Senate voted in favor of a local sales tax limit. The NC Senate voted 32-16 in favor of House Bill 1224 that would cap the local sales tax at 2.5%.

Charlotte Events with Moira Quinn

Wednesday, July 23 2014 7:49 PM EDT2014-07-23 23:49:00 GMT
    Moira Quinn with Charlotte Center City Partners shares upcoming events in the Queen City... including an ice cream social at the Green Market on Saturday and the soccer match between Liverpool FC and AC Milan at Bank of America Stadium. Quinn tells @Fox46Barbara, tickets are still available.

Newton and Receivers Looking To Get Familiar—Fast

Friday, July 25 2014 11:11 PM EDT2014-07-26 03:11:01 GMT
    Recovery and bonding with new receivers among the challenges for Cam Newton. Rookie Kelvin Benjamin is one of those new wide outs.