Women in Wingate fighting addiction, vices, working at second ch - myfoxcarolinas.com

Women in Wingate fighting addiction, vices, working at second chance

• Union CountyMore>>

Monroe contracts Greenway, Carolina Thread Trail project

Wednesday, August 27 2014 6:10 PM EDT2014-08-27 22:10:43 GMT
    The City of Monroe has chosen Kimley-Horn and Associates to contract its design of the Bearskin Creek Greenway -- part of the Carolina Thread Trail.

Local family meets President Obama

Tuesday, August 26 2014 4:42 PM EDT2014-08-26 20:42:52 GMT
    President Barack Obama touched ground in Charlotte today at the Air National Guard Base on Air Force One and immediately following his landing -- took time to meet with a few dozen locals. President Obama landed around 11:15 a.m. this morning and departed just two hours later after speaking at the American Legion's 96th National Convention.

Union Co. Kindergartners speaking only secondary language

Monday, August 25 2014 6:42 PM EDT2014-08-25 22:42:02 GMT
    Union County Public Schools now has more language immersion classes than any other school district in North Carolina.
  • David SentendreyMore>>

David Sentendrey

Monday, March 17 2014 6:08 PM EDT2014-03-17 22:08:00 GMT
    I was born in Cleveland, Ohio. I moved to North Carolina with my family in 2001 and attended Weddington High School before studying journalism at Appalachian State University.

Dozens become citizens at Federal Courthouse

Friday, August 29 2014 6:06 PM EDT2014-08-29 22:06:56 GMT
    Forty-eight people from 32 different countries were ceremoniously taken in as United States citizens on Friday at the Federal Courthouse in Uptown Charlotte.

Hornets Fans Finally Have Their Jerseys

Thursday, August 28 2014 6:00 PM EDT2014-08-28 22:00:21 GMT
    The Charlotte Hornets Fan Shop opened its doors on Thursday at 11 a.m. for fans to purchase replica jerseys.
All across the world, there are plenty of options for those seeking treatment for addictions, vices, etc.

Just outside of downtown Wingate, House of Pearls offers women the chance to seek treatment for any issue they have -- follow-up from incarceration, drug dependency -- you name it.

"At the end of the programming, which is six months, we hope the women will have the life skills necessary to be a positive member of the community," said Cindy Huffman of House of Pearls.

House of Pearls is a Christian-focused organization. They have housed hundreds of women since their beginning in 2009. They currently rotate six women for each six-month stay.

Women have chores throughout the day, from cooking and cleaning to yard work. But there is also Bible study and plenty of time for personal reflection. The goal is to let those staying find out not just how to overcome their vices, but how to become the person they want to be moving forward.

One current resident, Sarah Fisher, is fighting alcohol addiction. She came to the center on Feb. 6 after a six-year battle with alcohol -- drinking a case of beer every day -- starting the moment she woke up.

Fisher is 24-years old.

"I know I'm young," Fisher said. "I come from some long-term abusive relationships. That just led me down a terrible road even though I had a lot of potential.

"I was just done. Fed up...I was ready to start over and do something with my life rather than waste it away."

She found House of Pearls through a personal friend. The program is completely voluntary.

Through her stay, she says she has transformed into a new person. But she did had her reservations.

"I was hesitant at first, especially because of the religious aspect. I wasn't sure if I was going to fit in...to a six month program based on religion," Fisher said. "I don't know what happened with me but I decided to come here and I got saved about a month ago. I'm a full believer. I was baptized yesterday -- and I've witnessed some miracles here."

What's next? Fisher hopes to get back to her passion -- writing and performing music. Today in front of the camera with My Fox Carolinas -- she picked up her guitar and played an original song for the first time in a year and a half.

"I neglected my passion for alcohol and stupid things," Fisher said.

Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices