Huffington Post: Charlotte Is The Weirdest - myfoxcarolinas.com

Huffington Post: Charlotte Is The Weirdest

• Jon DickMore>>

Jon Dick

Monday, April 21 2014 2:11 PM EDT2014-04-21 18:11:39 GMT
    Known for my unconventional reports, I am a digital journalist for Fox46 in Charlotte.
    Known for my unconventional reports, I am a digital journalist for My FOX Carolinas in Charlotte. I was born a long time ago in Syracuse, New York. Since then I have spent most of my life in Pennsylvania and Colorado. My biggest weakness: I have no weaknesses. I’m a smooth operator, operating correctly, and a master of journalism according to the University of Colorado.

Hundreds of Iron Kids Compete in Triathlon

Sunday, July 27 2014 9:16 PM EDT2014-07-28 01:16:35 GMT
    Today was the final races of the triathlon series that has been going on since April.

Junior Handlers Train Dogs to Jump Through Hoops

Thursday, July 24 2014 9:38 PM EDT2014-07-25 01:38:21 GMT
    At Zoom Room in Charlotte, they have a summer camp for junior dog handlers.
    At Zoom Room in Charlotte, they have a summer camp for junior dog handlers.
Charlotte is many things—southern, metropolitan, growing and…weird? Former Charlotte resident Carly Ledbetter thinks so, which led her to post “15 Reasons Why Charlotte Is The Weirdest” on the Huffington Post.

The tongue-in-cheek article pokes fun at many Charlotte customs. Her bullet points include:

• Downtown Is Called Uptown
  • No One Is Actually From Charlotte
  • The Streets Are Always Empty
  • Graveyards Are EVERYWHERE

Her post drew a strong reaction on social media, both positive and negative.

Ledbetter told My Fox Carolinas she doesn’t view Charlotte’s “weirdness” as a bad thing.

“I think weird is a totally endearing term,” Ledbetter said. “I think that Charlotte is a different city, and I just wanted to point out some of the things that I thought were weird.”

Ledbetter lived in Charlotte for nine months before moving to New York. Coincidentally, her final validation of the city's weirdness is that it seems to be a stop along the road, instead of a destination for upwardly mobile people.

"Think of the Queen City as a combination of college and purgatory -- everyone moves there and then within a few years, they're accepting a job in San Francisco," Ledbetter said. "Everyone else is either really happy or really horrified to find out that they're settling in pretty nicely in Charlotte."

What do you think? Is Ledbetter's article on point or off the mark?

Creative Loafing Charlotte weighed in with it's own article on why Charlotte is weird.

Red Bull Global Rallycross Excites Fans

Saturday, July 26 2014 10:22 PM EDT2014-07-27 02:22:47 GMT

Thousands enjoyed an up close racing experience at the Charlotte Dirt Track.

Thousands enjoyed an up close racing experience at the Charlotte Dirt Track.

Roll Over Fred: From Pet Owner to Store Owner

Sunday, July 27 2014 7:52 PM EDT2014-07-27 23:52:30 GMT
    We all have heard of the saying, “a dog is a man’s best friend," it may sound a bit cliche but it’s true for Fred Shrill and his dog Tucker. “I wouldn’t take the world or him,” said Fred as he smiled.

• Mike Leslie's death-defying (not really) ride in the passenger seat of a rocket ship

#Ridealong with Red Bull Global Rallycross

#Ridealong with Red Bull Global Rallycross

Saturday, July 26 2014 3:22 PM EDT2014-07-26 19:22:34 GMT
    Friday, for my assignment, I was tasked with a ride-along in a Global Rallycross car, at The Dirt Track at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Cars that go zero-to-60 in 1.9 seconds -- that's faster than a formula one car. We're talking about machines with absurd power. Not a bad gig... But enough to make you a little skittish...