Huffington Post: Charlotte Is The Weirdest - myfoxcarolinas.com

Huffington Post: Charlotte Is The Weirdest

• Jon DickMore>>

Jon Dick

Monday, April 21 2014 2:11 PM EDT2014-04-21 18:11:39 GMT
    Known for my unconventional reports, I am a digital journalist for Fox46 in Charlotte.
    Known for my unconventional reports, I am a digital journalist for My FOX Carolinas in Charlotte. I was born a long time ago in Syracuse, New York. Since then I have spent most of my life in Pennsylvania and Colorado. My biggest weakness: I have no weaknesses. I’m a smooth operator, operating correctly, and a master of journalism according to the University of Colorado.

Matthews Alive Labor Day Weekend Festival

Sunday, August 31 2014 8:51 PM EDT2014-09-01 00:51:39 GMT
    All the proceeds from the event are distributed to non-profit organizations in the community and over the years, Matthews Alive has raised over $1 million for the organizations.

“This is Not Your Grandma’s Ping Pong”

Thursday, August 28 2014 9:28 PM EDT2014-08-29 01:28:58 GMT
    The first ever ‘Monroe Open' is to be held on August 30 at the Dickerson Recreation Center and there is sure to be some stiff competition.
Charlotte is many things—southern, metropolitan, growing and…weird? Former Charlotte resident Carly Ledbetter thinks so, which led her to post “15 Reasons Why Charlotte Is The Weirdest” on the Huffington Post.

The tongue-in-cheek article pokes fun at many Charlotte customs. Her bullet points include:

• Downtown Is Called Uptown
  • No One Is Actually From Charlotte
  • The Streets Are Always Empty
  • Graveyards Are EVERYWHERE

Her post drew a strong reaction on social media, both positive and negative.

Ledbetter told My Fox Carolinas she doesn’t view Charlotte’s “weirdness” as a bad thing.

“I think weird is a totally endearing term,” Ledbetter said. “I think that Charlotte is a different city, and I just wanted to point out some of the things that I thought were weird.”

Ledbetter lived in Charlotte for nine months before moving to New York. Coincidentally, her final validation of the city's weirdness is that it seems to be a stop along the road, instead of a destination for upwardly mobile people.

"Think of the Queen City as a combination of college and purgatory -- everyone moves there and then within a few years, they're accepting a job in San Francisco," Ledbetter said. "Everyone else is either really happy or really horrified to find out that they're settling in pretty nicely in Charlotte."

What do you think? Is Ledbetter's article on point or off the mark?

Creative Loafing Charlotte weighed in with it's own article on why Charlotte is weird.

Danielle Stradford - Softball Sensation at Age 14

Monday, September 1 2014 4:35 PM EDT2014-09-01 20:35:45 GMT
    Danielle Stradford is a 14-year old softball player who's ahead of the game.  Meet her, her family, her coach and her teammates.

Pair Your Favorite Beer With Your Favorite Food

Monday, September 1 2014 12:31 PM EDT2014-09-01 16:31:56 GMT
    Have you ever wondered how to pair great foods with beer, well Cesar Leyva from Cheers Charlotte Radio has those answers!Cesar joined us on Good Day and brought a few locally brewed beers and gave us the rundown on which foods they pair best with.

House Training Your Cat

Monday, September 1 2014 12:28 PM EDT2014-09-01 16:28:14 GMT
    If you are a cat owner, then you know how difficult it can be from keeping your furry friend from using the bathroom wherever and whenever they want.

Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices