Community College Asks Public To Help Pick New Mascot - myfoxcarolinas.com

Community College Asks Public To Help Pick New Mascot

• Kyle McCurryMore>>

Kyle McCurry

Wednesday, April 2 2014 11:14 AM EDT2014-04-02 15:14:24 GMT
    I am a Digital Journalist based in Hickory. I cover Alexander, Burke, Caldwell, Catawba, Iredell and Watauga counties. I was born in Weaverville, NC. My high school dream was to be a White House correspondent, then college happened and I got involved with the radio station at Western Carolina University.

The Man Who Helped Save North Carolina From a Thermonuclear Disaster

Sunday, August 24 2014 10:34 PM EDT2014-08-25 02:34:24 GMT
    In 1961, Jack ReVelle participated in a mission to secure an area near Goldsboro, NC that had been made unsafe by the presence of two hydrogen bombs that had been ejected out of the back of a B-52.

The King's Driver Looks Forward to "The Chase"

Saturday, August 23 2014 10:42 PM EDT2014-08-24 02:42:48 GMT
    When Aric Almirola drove his No. 43 Richard Petty Motorsports Ford into victory lane at Daytona in early July, it was considered a special moment for the driver, the sport and the car's legendary owner.
    When Aric Almirola drove his No. 43 Richard Petty Motorsports Ford into victory lane at Daytona in early July, it was considered a special moment for the driver, the sport and the car’s legendary owner.

HICKORY, NC - Catawba Valley Community College's (CVCC) athletic teams will soon look a little different. CVCC has decided to replace their decade old mascot, The Buccaneer, with something more suited to the area.

"It's not that we don't like the Buccaneer," said Nick Schroeder, athletic director, CVCC. "The Buccaneer served us very well the last 10 years our athletics program's came back. It's been a great nickname, but we're really looking to tie in the future to our history of Hickory into our community college name."

The response from the students has been mixed.

"I want it to stay the same," said Lady Bucs Basketball player Kadesha Gibbs. "Because the two years I have been here, we've been the Lady Bucs. So, it's kind of something I want to stick with."

Leah Wells, a sophomore volleyball player, commented, "I think it will be a great change for the school, and the atmosphere, and just everybody here."

Buccaneers Baseball pitcher Alex Embler likes the decision.

"I think it's overall great for the school and the community to have a community college that has a mascot that everybody in the community can identify with," Embler said.

Freshman basketball player  Quantel Longmire disagrees with that.

"I don't want it to change, because that's what I came to, that's what I am used to...The Bucs."

The change in mascot is not a decision the school will make alone. It is asking the community for suggestions. So far, more than 100 ideas have been received.

The official announcement of the new CVCC mascot will be April 9.

A New Spot For Breakfast and Lunch in Myers Park

Friday, August 22 2014 4:59 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:59:50 GMT
    A bowl full of coffee and a hash made with locally sourced purple potatoes. It's all part of the culinary scene at a new breakfast and lunch spot in Myers Park called Littlespoon.

Waxhaw BOC Vote To Remove Mayor From Transportation Board

Tuesday, August 26 2014 11:32 PM EDT2014-08-27 03:32:30 GMT
    The Waxhaw Board of Commissioners voted to remove Mayor Daune Gardner from the CLT Transportation Board.

Woman Rabbi Takes Charge

Woman Rabbi Takes Charge

Tuesday, August 26 2014 10:58 PM EDT2014-08-27 02:58:05 GMT
    She is a powerhouse in the Charlotte faith community: Rabbi Judy Schindler, Senior Pastor of Temple Beth El. Don't let her petite frame fool you. Rabbi Schindler packs a powerful punch when it comes to community outreach: promoting interfaith understanding is a priority.

Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices