Community College Asks Public To Help Pick New Mascot - myfoxcarolinas.com

Community College Asks Public To Help Pick New Mascot

• Kyle McCurryMore>>

Kyle McCurry

Wednesday, April 2 2014 11:14 AM EDT2014-04-02 15:14:24 GMT
    I am a Digital Journalist based in Hickory. I cover Alexander, Burke, Caldwell, Catawba, Iredell and Watauga counties. I was born in Weaverville, NC. My high school dream was to be a White House correspondent, then college happened and I got involved with the radio station at Western Carolina University.

Indy's Catawba County Connection

Sunday, July 27 2014 10:09 PM EDT2014-07-28 02:09:31 GMT
    Jeff Gordon captured his fifth victory in the Brickyard 400 today at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. His name will go down in history as the winningest NASCAR driver at the Indiana track. But, he is not the only multiple champion.

Jason Jarrett: Carrying On A Family's Legacy

Sunday, July 27 2014 1:58 PM EDT2014-07-27 17:58:54 GMT
    Last year, Ryan Newman won the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. As you can imagine, the team was excited and proud of the accomplishment. That was certainly true for Catawba County’s Jason Jarrett.

HICKORY, NC - Catawba Valley Community College's (CVCC) athletic teams will soon look a little different. CVCC has decided to replace their decade old mascot, The Buccaneer, with something more suited to the area.

"It's not that we don't like the Buccaneer," said Nick Schroeder, athletic director, CVCC. "The Buccaneer served us very well the last 10 years our athletics program's came back. It's been a great nickname, but we're really looking to tie in the future to our history of Hickory into our community college name."

The response from the students has been mixed.

"I want it to stay the same," said Lady Bucs Basketball player Kadesha Gibbs. "Because the two years I have been here, we've been the Lady Bucs. So, it's kind of something I want to stick with."

Leah Wells, a sophomore volleyball player, commented, "I think it will be a great change for the school, and the atmosphere, and just everybody here."

Buccaneers Baseball pitcher Alex Embler likes the decision.

"I think it's overall great for the school and the community to have a community college that has a mascot that everybody in the community can identify with," Embler said.

Freshman basketball player  Quantel Longmire disagrees with that.

"I don't want it to change, because that's what I came to, that's what I am used to...The Bucs."

The change in mascot is not a decision the school will make alone. It is asking the community for suggestions. So far, more than 100 ideas have been received.

The official announcement of the new CVCC mascot will be April 9.

Red Bull Global Rallycross Excites Fans

Saturday, July 26 2014 10:22 PM EDT2014-07-27 02:22:47 GMT

Thousands enjoyed an up close racing experience at the Charlotte Dirt Track.

Thousands enjoyed an up close racing experience at the Charlotte Dirt Track.

Roll Over Fred: From Pet Owner to Store Owner

Sunday, July 27 2014 7:52 PM EDT2014-07-27 23:52:30 GMT
    We all have heard of the saying, “a dog is a man’s best friend," it may sound a bit cliche but it’s true for Fred Shrill and his dog Tucker. “I wouldn’t take the world or him,” said Fred as he smiled.

• Mike Leslie's death-defying (not really) ride in the passenger seat of a rocket ship

#Ridealong with Red Bull Global Rallycross

#Ridealong with Red Bull Global Rallycross

Saturday, July 26 2014 3:22 PM EDT2014-07-26 19:22:34 GMT
    Friday, for my assignment, I was tasked with a ride-along in a Global Rallycross car, at The Dirt Track at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Cars that go zero-to-60 in 1.9 seconds -- that's faster than a formula one car. We're talking about machines with absurd power. Not a bad gig... But enough to make you a little skittish...