Community College Asks Public To Help Pick New Mascot - myfoxcarolinas.com

Community College Asks Public To Help Pick New Mascot

• Kyle McCurryMore>>

Kyle McCurry

Wednesday, April 2 2014 11:14 AM EDT2014-04-02 15:14:24 GMT
    I am a Digital Journalist based in Hickory. I cover Alexander, Burke, Caldwell, Catawba, Iredell and Watauga counties. I was born in Weaverville, NC. My high school dream was to be a White House correspondent, then college happened and I got involved with the radio station at Western Carolina University.

The Labontes Look Back On Storied Careers and One Historic Day at Atlanta Motor Speedway

Sunday, August 31 2014 10:45 PM EDT2014-09-01 02:45:09 GMT
    In 1996, Atlanta Motor Speedway played host to an historic celebration for a family from Corpus Christi, Texas.

NASCAR's 2015 Schedule Well Received By Insiders, Legends

Saturday, August 30 2014 10:42 PM EDT2014-08-31 02:42:46 GMT
    NASCAR released the 2015 schedules for its top three series last week. It's being praised for a number of reasons amongst the industries insiders, but nothing seems to be more welcomed news than the return fall racing to Darlington Raceway.

HICKORY, NC - Catawba Valley Community College's (CVCC) athletic teams will soon look a little different. CVCC has decided to replace their decade old mascot, The Buccaneer, with something more suited to the area.

"It's not that we don't like the Buccaneer," said Nick Schroeder, athletic director, CVCC. "The Buccaneer served us very well the last 10 years our athletics program's came back. It's been a great nickname, but we're really looking to tie in the future to our history of Hickory into our community college name."

The response from the students has been mixed.

"I want it to stay the same," said Lady Bucs Basketball player Kadesha Gibbs. "Because the two years I have been here, we've been the Lady Bucs. So, it's kind of something I want to stick with."

Leah Wells, a sophomore volleyball player, commented, "I think it will be a great change for the school, and the atmosphere, and just everybody here."

Buccaneers Baseball pitcher Alex Embler likes the decision.

"I think it's overall great for the school and the community to have a community college that has a mascot that everybody in the community can identify with," Embler said.

Freshman basketball player  Quantel Longmire disagrees with that.

"I don't want it to change, because that's what I came to, that's what I am used to...The Bucs."

The change in mascot is not a decision the school will make alone. It is asking the community for suggestions. So far, more than 100 ideas have been received.

The official announcement of the new CVCC mascot will be April 9.

Third Annual 'Yard Art Day' in Charlotte

Monday, September 1 2014 9:42 PM EDT2014-09-02 01:42:30 GMT
    It's a day where so called ‘yardists' decorate their yards with art.
    It's a day where so called ‘yardists' decorate their yards with art.

Panthers QB Cam Newton Returns to Practice

Monday, September 1 2014 9:21 PM EDT2014-09-02 01:21:33 GMT
    Charlotte, NC - Cam Newton returned to practice wearing a bigger padded flak jacket for protection. Newton is still recovering from fractured ribs he suffered in the Panthers third preseason game at New England.

Charlotte Knights Reflect on First Season in Uptown

Monday, September 1 2014 9:15 PM EDT2014-09-02 01:15:58 GMT
    Charlotte Knights players and management look back on the return of baseball in Uptown Charlotte.

Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices