Community College Asks Public To Help Pick New Mascot - myfoxcarolinas.com

Community College Asks Public To Help Pick New Mascot

• Kyle McCurryMore>>

Kyle McCurry

Wednesday, April 2 2014 11:14 AM EDT2014-04-02 15:14:24 GMT
    I am a Digital Journalist based in Hickory. I cover Alexander, Burke, Caldwell, Catawba, Iredell and Watauga counties. I was born in Weaverville, NC. My high school dream was to be a White House correspondent, then college happened and I got involved with the radio station at Western Carolina University.

Heading Into the Final 10 Sprint Cup Races with a Different Set of Goals

Sunday, September 14 2014 5:42 PM EDT2014-09-14 21:42:07 GMT
    While the NASCAR world is focused on the Chase for the Sprint Cup Championship this weekend at Chicagoland Speedway, those 16 cars competing are not the only ones on the track.

The Winless Look Towards The Chase for Sprint Cup

Friday, September 12 2014 10:14 PM EDT2014-09-13 02:14:31 GMT
    NASCAR's Chase for the Sprint Cup Championship pits 16 drivers against one another, and some of them have yet to win a race in 2014.

HICKORY, NC - Catawba Valley Community College's (CVCC) athletic teams will soon look a little different. CVCC has decided to replace their decade old mascot, The Buccaneer, with something more suited to the area.

"It's not that we don't like the Buccaneer," said Nick Schroeder, athletic director, CVCC. "The Buccaneer served us very well the last 10 years our athletics program's came back. It's been a great nickname, but we're really looking to tie in the future to our history of Hickory into our community college name."

The response from the students has been mixed.

"I want it to stay the same," said Lady Bucs Basketball player Kadesha Gibbs. "Because the two years I have been here, we've been the Lady Bucs. So, it's kind of something I want to stick with."

Leah Wells, a sophomore volleyball player, commented, "I think it will be a great change for the school, and the atmosphere, and just everybody here."

Buccaneers Baseball pitcher Alex Embler likes the decision.

"I think it's overall great for the school and the community to have a community college that has a mascot that everybody in the community can identify with," Embler said.

Freshman basketball player  Quantel Longmire disagrees with that.

"I don't want it to change, because that's what I came to, that's what I am used to...The Bucs."

The change in mascot is not a decision the school will make alone. It is asking the community for suggestions. So far, more than 100 ideas have been received.

The official announcement of the new CVCC mascot will be April 9.

Old Monroe Road closer to multi-million dollar expansion

Tuesday, September 16 2014 6:19 PM EDT2014-09-16 22:19:02 GMT
    The Department of Transportation spent Tuesday afternoon meeting with officials from Indian Trail, Matthews and Stallings -- all towns that will be affected with the widening of Old Monroe Road into four lanes with a median.

Former Charlotte Council Member Speaks Out About Past Legal Issues

Tuesday, September 16 2014 6:00 PM EDT2014-09-16 22:00:34 GMT
    Harold Cogdell is an attorney in Charlotte, but more than ten years ago, he was serving on City Council. While on council, Cogdell was accused of assaulting a female. He was found guilty by a judge during a bench trial, but quickly appealed it, and stood in front of a jury more than a year later, where he was then found not guilty.

Veterans Affairs Hospital in Salisbury To Hold Town Hall

Tuesday, September 16 2014 3:36 PM EDT2014-09-16 19:36:22 GMT
    The VA Hospital in Salisbury will hold a town hall for veterans Tuesday night from 5:30-7:00 pm.

Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices