Catawba College Professor Challenges LeBron James Over Bracelet - myfoxcarolinas.com

Catawba College Professor Challenges LeBron James Over Bracelet Trademark

• Robin KanadyMore>>

Robin Kanady

Wednesday, April 2 2014 11:55 AM EDT2014-04-02 15:55:18 GMT
    Hey, Hey Carolinas! I'm doing the job I love in the place I love, my hometown. I grew up in Concord and I'm grateful to be back home telling the stories of such wonderful people in and around the Charlotte area.

Rowan County Sheriff's Office Abruptly Cancels Parsons Press Conference

Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:33 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:33:44 GMT
    The Rowan County Sheriff's Office has abruptly canceled a press conference scheduled today to update the Erica Parsons case.

Area Malls Battling Back Against NC's Loss of Tax Free Weekend

Friday, July 25 2014 10:59 PM EDT2014-07-26 02:59:10 GMT
    Retailers in the Charlotte region are planning discounts to combat the loss of revenue after North Carolina’s elimination of the sales tax free weekend, which traditionally took place the first weekend in August.
A Catawba College professor has come to an agreement with LeBron James over a trademark dispute.

Professor Pamela Thompson created the 'I Promise' project. She sells iProm!se bracelets and buyers make a commitment to change a habit or support a cause. Thompson donates to charities from the sale of the bracelets.

One of Thompson’s students noticed the 'I Promise' bracelets for the LeBron James Family Foundation looked similar to Thompson’s bracelets. Thompson says when the student showed her the similarities, her first thought was affirmation that her creation was solid.

She says, “In a way, I was like, ‘You know, I always knew this was a good idea,’ so that was the original thought. It was interesting, and then I think it took me a little while to gather my thoughts.”

She then hired an attorney and filed a dispute over the trademark.

“I’m like, ‘You know, I’m going to see what happens, and I learned every step of the way,” Thompson said.

She says if it hadn’t been for her students paying attention to a celebrity having a similar product, she may have never known there was something else like hers on the market.

“I commend her a lot. If it was my idea, I would challenge it as well,” said student Latia Bostick.

Another student said, “It’s an inspiration for sure. You created something. That’s yours. You've got to defend it.”

“The one thing I would say to anyone starting a business is realize that you may have something of value, to go the extra mile and get that patent registered, that trademark registered,” said Thompson.

Soapbox: How to Speed Up TSA Processes

Wednesday, July 30 2014 7:11 PM EDT2014-07-30 23:11:05 GMT
    Who knows…maybe some of your ideas could take flight.
    Who knows…maybe some of your ideas could take flight.

Charlotte Douglas International Airport Works to Update Noise Exposure Maps

Wednesday, July 30 2014 6:41 PM EDT2014-07-30 22:41:31 GMT
    Charlotte Douglas International Airport is updating its Noise Exposure Maps for the first time since 1998 and it's offering the public a chance to be a part of the process. Kickoff community meetings are underway this week.

Union Co. football coaches learning concussion awareness

Wednesday, July 30 2014 3:42 PM EDT2014-07-30 19:42:24 GMT
    The goal of the class is to bring to the attention of coaches warning signs of concussions and how to take extra precaution.