Couple Married 60 Years Die 36 Hours Apart -

Couple Married 60 Years Die 36 Hours Apart

Posted: Updated:

Floreen and Ed Hale have loved and lived together as a couple and a new photo online shows that even death could not keep them apart.

On February 7, Floreen passed away in a Batavia, New York, hospital at 82-years-old. Ed was lying next to her. He was holding her hand until the very end.

The 83-year-old man died just 36 hours later.

He was too weak to be transported by ambulance to be with his dying wife, but at the request of the family, the two hospitals worked together to reunite the spouses in their last days.

The Orleans Hub reports the couple's love story began more than 60 years ago when the two met at a party.

Ed, a young engineer went to Floreen's parents to ask for her hand in marriage. They denied his request because she was recovering from a car accident that killed her first husband. Her first marriage happened just three months prior.

Ed did not take ‘no' for an answer. He asked Floreen's parents every day until he got their blessing.

The couple finally married on May 12, 1953 in Batavia, New York in a home designed by Ed.

Ed was known for sharing his joy by pampering his wife and spoiling her with little tokens of affection.

He would bring her dinner and dessert when worked as telephone operator at a hospital.

He also took care of many household duties. Ed did most of the grocery shopping for the house, and every time he went to the store, he picked up some sweet treat or flowers for Floreen.

Ed was diagnosed with kidney disease a little over five years ago requiring regular dialysis treatments. He also suffered several heart attacks and had diabetes, but that didn't stop him from taking his wife out almost every day.

Floreen, who was known for her irrepressible sense of humor, chattiness and a penchant for colorful hair adornments, also had a laundry list of ailments, from asthma to heart disease.

Still, she would dress up to go to the doctor, with Ed always by her side.

Earlier this month, Floreen's lungs filled with fluid, landing her in a hospital in grave condition.

Ed was in Unity Hospital in Rochester with kidney failure at the same time.

'We were handed two death sentences,' Floreen's sister, Marlene DeCarlo said.

Ed was semi-conscious, but two days after his wife's hospitalization, Ed woke up and told his daughter: 'I need to see Floreen.'

The hospitals went through a series of negotiations to get the couple under the same roof.

The Batavia hospital agreed to accept the dying patient, but only if he was strong enough to make the 35-mile trip.

Ed made it to the hospital on February 6 to see Floreen.

The hospital provided the couple with a room, and pushed two beds together. Ed held Floreen's hand until she began to die.

Ed died one day later.

‘I think it would have been more heartbreaking to see one without the other, to see one surviving when the other was not around anymore,' said Lisa Giattino, the Hales' niece. ‘I think it was so beautiful the way it happened.'

The couple had a joint funeral last Thursday on the eve of Valentine's Day. The Hales have two surviving children, Renee and Ricky. A third baby died in infancy.

Powered by WorldNow

3501 Performance Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28214
Main Number: (704) 398-0046

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices