University Area Reacts To Snow - myfoxcarolinas.com

University Area Reacts To Snow

• Neima AbdulahiMore>>

Neima Abdulahi

Wednesday, March 19 2014 12:36 PM EDT2014-03-19 16:36:15 GMT
    I joined My Fox Carolinas in July as a DJ. No not a disc jockey, but a digital journalist. I love being able to report, shoot and edit all of my stories. I'm a proud graduate of Elon University with a degree in Broadcast and New Media. During my time in college, I was a reporter for the award-winning newscast, Elon Local News.

District Attorney's Office Designs Waiting Room for Kids

Wednesday, April 23 2014 10:53 PM EDT2014-04-24 02:53:34 GMT
    The Mecklenburg County’s District Attorney’s office is working with Pat’s Place, a child advocacy group in Charlotte to transform one of their waiting rooms for children. Having to testify can be a daunting and overwhelming experience for anyone. Imagine what it might feel like for a child, whether they’re a victim or a witness to a crime.

Cold Case Files: Victim Shot In Driveway In 2008

Thursday, February 20 2014 10:35 PM EST2014-02-21 03:35:33 GMT
    The victim was hit multiple times in the driveway in June 2008.
    The victim was hit multiple times in the driveway in June 2008.
This major winter weather event has been accumulating all day and the snow finally stopped. The conditions on the road are not the safest. People in the University Area were stuck without a car due to the lack of plow machines to clear their neighborhoods.

A.J Hynes who lives near W.T Harris Boulevard says she won’t give up on her vehicle. With a shovel in hand, she clears the path in hopes to make it to work tomorrow. The time off has left a dent in her wallet.

“I’ve missed work for the past two days. I’m on commission. I’m a car salesman. Without work, I don’t get paid. I’m just trying to get this ice up from under my car and I can’t move it at all,” Hynes said.

While some people were shoveling their pathways, sidewalks and parking lots, some decided to commute on foot. Phillip West walked a few blocks to get something to eat.

“The apartment I’m in, we’re moving out so the refrigerator is pretty much empty. I made the walk to the Pizza Hut and now back to the house,” West said.

Others just couldn't stay inside any longer.

Fredrick Cox decided to build a snowman with his friends. He says he wanted to have something to do.

“We were cramped up in the house and it was time to get out,” Fredrick Cox said.

Brent Odenheimer did the same. He took a stroll with his best friend to stretch his legs and fill up his stomach. The storm has left him stuck in his house since Tuesday. “I was bored, cabin fever. I just wanted to get out and buy a little munchies,” he said.

They’re all looking forward to roads getting better, but the time off of work has given them time to spend with family and friends.

District Attorney's Office Designs Waiting Room for Kids

Wednesday, April 23 2014 10:53 PM EDT2014-04-24 02:53:34 GMT

South End Community Focused On Parks & Crime

Wednesday, April 23 2014 11:19 PM EDT2014-04-24 03:19:46 GMT
    South End residents discussed the progress of a Mecklenburg County Park and crime and safety in their community.

Bobcats Host Playoff Watch Party

Wednesday, April 23 2014 10:28 PM EDT2014-04-24 02:28:37 GMT
    The fact the Charlotte Bobcats are in the playoffs for only the second time in team history is a fact worth celebrating. And the Bobcats organization is doing just that .Tonight they're hosting a watch party at Wild Wings Cafe in the EpiCentre for fans of the team.