University Area Reacts To Snow - myfoxcarolinas.com

University Area Reacts To Snow

• Neima AbdulahiMore>>

Neima Abdulahi

Wednesday, March 19 2014 12:36 PM EDT2014-03-19 16:36:15 GMT
    I joined My Fox Carolinas in July as a DJ. No not a disc jockey, but a digital journalist. I love being able to report, shoot and edit all of my stories. I'm a proud graduate of Elon University with a degree in Broadcast and New Media. During my time in college, I was a reporter for the award-winning newscast, Elon Local News.

Cold Case Files: Victim Shot In Driveway In 2008

Thursday, February 20 2014 10:35 PM EST2014-02-21 03:35:33 GMT
    The victim was hit multiple times in the driveway in June 2008.
    The victim was hit multiple times in the driveway in June 2008.

Runners Race For Boston Victims

Tuesday, April 15 2014 10:26 PM EDT2014-04-16 02:26:54 GMT
    Two Charlotte runners say they will make their way to Boston on Monday to run for the victims of the bombing and to support a friend who knew the struggle first hand.
This major winter weather event has been accumulating all day and the snow finally stopped. The conditions on the road are not the safest. People in the University Area were stuck without a car due to the lack of plow machines to clear their neighborhoods.

A.J Hynes who lives near W.T Harris Boulevard says she won’t give up on her vehicle. With a shovel in hand, she clears the path in hopes to make it to work tomorrow. The time off has left a dent in her wallet.

“I’ve missed work for the past two days. I’m on commission. I’m a car salesman. Without work, I don’t get paid. I’m just trying to get this ice up from under my car and I can’t move it at all,” Hynes said.

While some people were shoveling their pathways, sidewalks and parking lots, some decided to commute on foot. Phillip West walked a few blocks to get something to eat.

“The apartment I’m in, we’re moving out so the refrigerator is pretty much empty. I made the walk to the Pizza Hut and now back to the house,” West said.

Others just couldn't stay inside any longer.

Fredrick Cox decided to build a snowman with his friends. He says he wanted to have something to do.

“We were cramped up in the house and it was time to get out,” Fredrick Cox said.

Brent Odenheimer did the same. He took a stroll with his best friend to stretch his legs and fill up his stomach. The storm has left him stuck in his house since Tuesday. “I was bored, cabin fever. I just wanted to get out and buy a little munchies,” he said.

They’re all looking forward to roads getting better, but the time off of work has given them time to spend with family and friends.

American Airlines reducing new International Flights from Charlotte

Wednesday, April 16 2014 11:45 AM EDT2014-04-16 15:45:00 GMT
    Four seasonal international flights are scheduled to begin departing Charlotte-Douglas International Airport in the next six weeks, but already American Airlines is scaling back.

Bank of America Reports First Quarter Loss

Wednesday, April 16 2014 9:35 AM EDT2014-04-16 13:35:13 GMT
    Charlotte-based Bank of America reported a first quarter loss blamed on huge costs of legal settlements along with a soft mortgage market.

Indian Trail flooding draws outrage

Wednesday, April 16 2014 8:22 PM EDT2014-04-17 00:22:37 GMT
    First Avenue in Indian Trail is home to more than 50 home lots. It's one street that is part of the Green Meadow neighborhood that was built in the 1960's.Today, the biggest problem those living on First Avenue face -- is flooding."My house gets flooded," Liliana Scarda said. "The front yard and the back yard. The water comes through my garage under the door and it reaches almost the level of my entrance door. And the back yard gets flooded. It takes a couple hours after the rain is finished ...