Local LGBT Community Looks To Social Media To Keep Doors Open - myfoxcarolinas.com

Local LGBT Community Looks To Social Media To Keep Doors Open

• David SentendreyMore>>

David Sentendrey

Monday, March 17 2014 6:08 PM EDT2014-03-17 22:08:00 GMT
    I was born in Cleveland, Ohio. I moved to North Carolina with my family in 2001 and attended Weddington High School before studying journalism at Appalachian State University.

Grammy-winning Randy Travis' name removed from Marshville signs

Monday, September 1 2014 6:43 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:43:35 GMT
    The Town of Marshville has switched its welcoming signs on Highway 74 -- originally reading "Home of Randy Travis."

Dozens become citizens at Federal Courthouse

Friday, August 29 2014 6:06 PM EDT2014-08-29 22:06:56 GMT
    Forty-eight people from 32 different countries were ceremoniously taken in as United States citizens on Friday at the Federal Courthouse in Uptown Charlotte.
When Patrice decided to "come out" to her friends and family recently -- it shook their world.

"I grew up Southern Baptist,” Patrice said. “My dad is a Southern Baptist minister and we in the Southern-Baptist world do not support gay relationships."

Hearing about strangers coming out of the closet is one thing, but a family member, is another.

"Often people associate gay with something they can't relate to,” Patrice said. “When it's somebody familiar to you, or looks like you, goes to church with you and does the same things you do -- you start to put a face with it and you say well gay is not something that much different than myself.”

The LGBT Community Center of Charlotte sees hundreds of people like Patrice every month -- some confused, scared or merely in need of someone to listen.

"The center is important because we're physically here,” said Operation Manager Glenn Griffin. “Sometimes you want to talk to someone who you know understands."

The Center has been in Charlotte for 10 years but moved to a more centrally-located campus in NoDa a year ago – but with an upgraded facility comes higher costs.

“Right now we're going through a lot of growing pains and a lot of it is financial change,” Griffin said.

Griffin says those growing pains could force the center to shut its doors in March if they do not raise enough money. The fundraising push is in person and online.

The center is encouraging folks to take to social media, taking pictures with signs that read #mycenter and posting to Twitter, Instagram -- any social media avenue.

There will also be a fundraiser on Saturday, Feb. 8 that is open to the public and will feature a number of guest speakers, artists – one big party to raise support for the center.

Patrice now volunteers for the center, reaching out and providing support to those just starting out on the road she has traveled. She also handles their public relations.

"I've sort of always struggle with this feeling for a while,” Patrice said. “I was actually married when I moved to Charlotte and my ex is actually really supportive of my coming out. Although my family is supportive they have had a hard time dealing with the situation because it's something that really rocks their belief system."

Some choose to take that belief system and reject people like Patrice. She chooses to accept who she is, who God made her – and embrace the life she says she was given.

"I do believe in God,” Patrice said. “I'm a Christian. I see God in every single person and I think that's what we're called to do as Christians."

Vonleh Out Two Months After Undergoing Surgery

Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:25 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:25:24 GMT
    The team announced today that the rookie from Indiana underwent the procedure to correct the injury he suffered in an off-season workout.

Mecklenburg County Holding Public Hearing on Smoking Ban

Tuesday, September 2 2014 3:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 19:08:25 GMT
    Mecklenburg County Commissioners have been talking about banning smoking in city parks, outside city buildings and on county golf courses for about a month now. Tonight they will hear from members of the community on whether or not they think the move is a good idea for the area.

Second American Doctor Tests Positive for Ebola

Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:00 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:00:50 GMT
    A second American doctor has tested positive for Ebola according to SIM-USA.
    A second American doctor has tested positive for Ebola according to SIM-USA.

Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices