Donations Pour In After Family’s Home Burns Down -

Donations Pour In After Family’s Home Burns Down

Posted: Updated:

One local family is thankful Friday night after receiving hundreds of donations after their home burned down nearly two weeks ago.

Neighbors posted about donations on Facebook and since then, its gone viral bringing in donations from all across the country.

“We left with nothing but the clothes on our back. Everything else perished in the fire,” said Chris Spano.

“We didn’t have much time. I had 30 seconds, and my mom and sister had a minute. The house burned down in 2 minutes,” said Bethany Spano.

In just a few minutes, a fire destroyed years of memories for the Spanos.

“I was sleeping when the fire started which is above the garage. The fire started at the back of the house and I heard the co-detector go off,” said Bethany Spano.

When every second counts, some quick thinking got everyone to safety.

“I am glad I was able to my family out but I wouldn’t consider myself a hero. I would consider God the hero because he had a plan. He woke me up. I don’t wake up that easily,” said Bethany Spano.

Now insulation, broken beams and charred debris are all that is left of picture perfect memories.

“Probably the pictures and the friends, and dinner parties,” said Bethany Spano.

Without a roof and without a car, the Spanos have spent the last two weeks staying with neighbors.

“The night of the fire several of the neighbors wanted to drive to help. I told them I was going to make a post on Facebook and the family lost everything. We did that and it went viral. We had responses from several states, Atlanta, S.C., N.C. The donations have been overwhelming,” said neighbor, Glenn Holden.

That social media post has poured in truckloads of donations.

“We have had a home offered, washer and dryer, tons of clothing, food for the dogs, bedding, towels.”

“It’s tremendous and I don’t know how else to explain our gratitude to help us out in our time of need,” said Chris Spano.

But in a time of darkness, the family says they’re thankful for the support and believe there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

“It really warms your heart to know that people can come together in a time of need,” said Holden.

“We are going to rebuild it to have new memories,’ said Bethany Spano.

The family was insured. Investigators are still trying to figure out how the fire started. If you’d like to help, check out www.Facebook.Com/homehelpersclt.

Powered by WorldNow

3501 Performance Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28214
Main Number: (704) 398-0046

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices