Bing, council disagree on fighting emergency management - myfoxcarolinas.com

Bing, council disagree on fighting emergency management

Posted: Updated:
Detroit Mayor Dave Bing at a news conference Wednesday announcing he doesn't feel Detroit can win an appeal.  (Credit: Fox 2 News) Detroit Mayor Dave Bing at a news conference Wednesday announcing he doesn't feel Detroit can win an appeal. (Credit: Fox 2 News)
DETROIT (WJBK) -

There was a surprise announcement from Mayor Dave Bing on Wednesday.  He is done fighting to keep an emergency financial manager out of Detroit.  However, council is refusing to give up the challenge to what they call a state takeover.

"We need to stop BS'ing ourselves, quite frankly, and get on with this because all we're going to do is hurt the citizens of Detroit," Bing said.

It came out of nowhere in a last minute press conference.  Mayor Bing said he will not support an appeal of an emergency financial manager.

"We need to end the drama and the infighting and understand that whether we like it or not, an emergency financial manager is coming to Detroit," said Bing.

All of this after council members said they had been meeting with the mayor and working together to show the state the city does have a plan and how they could fix the city's financial crisis without an EFM.  The mayor was expected to give his final suggestions Wednesday afternoon.

However, just 20 minutes before his press conference, the mayor informed council members Gary Brown and Ken Cockrel, Junior he was a no go.  All other members learned of it when Bing took the podium.

"If he doesn't want to move forward with it, that's fine, but it's unfortunate that we have to find out about it at a press conference," said council member James Tate.

In fact, Bing admitted he informed the governor of his decision the day before.

Even without the mayor behind them, Tate said they still plan to appeal.

At the same time Bing came out with his decision, Councilwoman JoAnn Watson held a public forum.  Many claimed an EFM will rob them of their democratic rights.

Former corporation counsel and now mayoral candidate Krystal Crittendon, who has challenged the consent agreement from the beginning, said she is disappointed but not shocked by the mayor's decision.

"I would've expected him to say that, but whether we need an emergency manager or not, this decision has to be based on the facts, and the facts are not what are contained in the financial review team's report," she said.

Brown was the only council member not on board with this appeal.  He issued a statement that basically said that without the mayor's support, he felt they would have little impact.  He is not for an emergency financial manager, but he just doesn't think it's a battle they will be able to win, either.

The appeals hearing is set for Tuesday.  Council and its attorneys will have a half hour to make their case, and then the governor will decide.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Let It Rip Weekend Proposal One and the Mongo Brothers

    Let It Rip Weekend Proposal One and the Mongo Brothers

    Let It Rip Weekend Proposal One and the Mongo Brothers

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:46 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:46:07 GMT
    How is Proposal One tied into funding our local schools, police and fire departments, plus should African Americans abandon the Democratic Party and the UAW?
    How is Proposal One tied into funding our local schools, police and fire departments, plus should African Americans abandon the Democratic Party and the UAW?

  • Porch shooter Theodore Wafer back in court for 3rd day of trial

    Porch shooter Theodore Wafer back in court for 3rd day of trial

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:34 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:34:31 GMT
    The trial of a Detroit-area man who killed a young unarmed woman on his porch is entering its first full week of testimony.
    The trial of a Detroit-area man who killed a young unarmed woman on his porch is entering its first full week of testimony.
  • Parents of child held in basement appearing in court

    Parents of child held in basement appearing in court

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:30 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:30:40 GMT
    DETROIT -- The father and stepmother of a 12-year-old Detroit boy who was found in his basement after an 11-day disappearance are due back in court.
    DETROIT -- The father and stepmother of a 12-year-old Detroit boy who was found in his basement after an 11-day disappearance are due back in court.
Powered by WorldNow

WJZY FOX 46
3501 Performance Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28214
Main Number: (704) 398-0046

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices